Welcome to HLS English class - the best place to learn English in Kuantan, Malaysia. English class for children and adults conducted in a fun and creative way. Learn English with Horne Learning Services. English speaking and conversation, reading, writing and listening training based in Kuantan. This is what we do . . .

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Reading your way to good English

In my previous post, I explained about the art of listening, in particular by watching English movies.

A good companion to listening is reading. Reading, reading and more reading!

One of my current primary school students is passionate about reading. His mother has to pull him away from his books so he can do his homework, eat dinner etc. Coupled with him speaking English at home, he has such a strong grasp of English that he speaks equally as good as me and gives amazingly coherent and sophisticated speeches in class with an unbelievably wide vocabulary for his age!

Reading good English on a regular basis will work wonders for you! Of course, all good English books are great for reading and building one's confidence and vocabulary. Fiction, non-fiction, biographies, magazines and newspapers are all wonderful additions.

In my adult classes, I have recently introduced another reading tool, which is my personal blog.

My personal blog can be found at:




At my blog, my students, and indeed anyone, can browse a plethora of articles I have posted about life in Kuantan, since mid-2009. My students find it particularly useful for quick, easy, and free reading practice, seeing how sentences are strung together grammatically, and bolstering their vocabulary.

So feel free to browse my blog, and whatever you do, please get reading!



6 comments:

Fidelia Sawai Horne said...

I love reading children's storybooks! Recently,I just finished Harry Potter 2! Loved it a lot!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

I was positively amazed to see you zooming through that Harry Potter book! Keep it up!

Cloudia said...

Most wise and useful advice that makes a big difference.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Thanks Cloudia, happy reading!

Evanir said...

É preciso humildade para reconhecer que não fazemos ideia do que Deus está
planejando a nosso respeito. Precisamos reconhecer que pode ser algo radicalmente
diferente daquilo que já recebemos dele. Precisamos não esperar nada em especial para
nos surpreender e maravilhar ao ver o que Ele fará.
Com essa mensagem de fé esperança e amor
venho te desejar um abençoado Natal a você família e amigos.
De todo coração agradeço por compartilhar sua amizade comigo
marcando sua doce presença de Natal a Natal.
Que a festa do aniversariante seja linda e inesquecível.
Beijos no coração e carinhos na alma,Evanir.

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Thanks Evanir for coming over to my blog. Here's the translation of your remarks:

It takes humility to recognize that we have no idea of what God is planning for us. We must recognize that it may be something radically different from what we have already received it. We need not expect anything special to be surprised and amazed to see what He will do. With this message of faith, hope and love come to wish you a blessed Christmas to you family and friends. With all my heart I thank you for sharing your friendship with me scoring his sweet Christmas present to Christmas. That's birthday party is beautiful and unforgettable. Kisses in the heart and caresses the soul, Evanir.

Thanks for the Christmas wishes!